Sunday, January 9, 2011

Workout of the Week

So I can't guarantee a new workout every single week, but I'm sure many of you have made recent goals to get to the gym more! And one of the most common excuses I've heard for not getting to the gym is "I don't have time." Well, here is a workout that will get your heart rate up (aka burn a ton of calories!) and you can squeeze a great cardio and strength training session into 30 minutes (or longer if you feel like it).



Supersets are my go-to workout - I always want to get the best workout possible in the shortest amount of time. A superset is simply combining two exercises back to back with little rest in between. You can combine any two exercises you want, it depends on how you plan your workouts. For example, I do legs all in one day so one of my supersets is:

Reverse lunge with lift (step back into a lunge, push back up to standing but before putting your back leg down, perform a glute lift with a straight leg behind you; repeat).This exercise works all the major muscles in your lower body.

Single leg touchdown (Weights are optional for this one. I also keep my base leg straight and keep my bent leg foot closer to my foot on the floor.) Works the hamstrings and calves.

Other supersets ::
Bicep curls & tricep extension (working antagonistic muscles)
Chest flyes & push ups (double whammy for the chest muscles!)
Alternating lunges & lat pull down (called peripheral heart action when shunting blood from one end of the body to the other)

Get the idea? By not resting in between every single set ( like you see many folks at the gym doing), you save a TON of time and burn a ton more calories! Supersets are like a cardiovascular workout and strength training in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment