Monday, January 3, 2011

Goals for January...aka New Years Resolutions

While I don't necessarily believe in 'New Year's Resolutions'.... I know for a fact that in order to make lifestyle changes you need to set goals - both short term and long term - and make a plan to achieve them. You can write down goals all day long but if you don't come up with a realistic way to get there... well, you'll probably never get there. I set goals a few times per year, but the beginning of a new year is always a good reminder to focus on how you plan to improve your life! So, my goals for January 2011:
     one.  Set boundaries -- aka I need to learn to say no. I love to help others and try to please everyone, but the stress levels are just becoming too much - and stress is just as bad for you, if not worse, than eating poorly and not exercising. So I will make sure to get two days off from work-related projects EVERY week. My trusty old day planner will be my key to success here!
     two.  Exercise at least three times per week -- Yes, it's even hard for a dietitian to get to the gym! When I was personal training during college, my clients used to tell me they were too tired after work to workout and I would give them a hard time... well I believe them now! It takes A LOT of dedication to hit the weights when you're exhausted, but setting a goal that directly motivates you to do always helps (see goal #3). My plan for this one will be to re-attempt the 5am workouts. My problem is I already wake up at 5:30 everyday so I can get to work early, leave early. So I'm going to have to reorganize my schedule and get home a little later in the evening.
     three.  Get printed -- Well, at least take the step I need to do so; and for this one, let's just say I'm not talking about for my writing (although that wouldn't be a bad thing at all!). For this one, goal number two will be key. I also need to keep a food diary (which is a HUGE component of weight loss and maintenance) at least two days per week. Food diaries help keep me accountable for what is actually going into my mouth! 
And here's a few long term goals:
  • Be more positive
  • Make a budget and stick to it
  • Pick a wedding venue!!!! (okay, definitely a short term goal... but it's coming along slowly)
  • Clean out my closet and de-clutter the entire apartment
  • Find a new workout that I truly enjoy. I used to run, but I'm feeling the need to mix things up. Boxing anyone??
  •  Do yoga once a week - I must work on my stress levels!

Keep a journal with your goals in it, read it regularly and re-evaluate and add new goals occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment